This national historic site in St. Louis County commemorates the life and celebrated military career of Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President of the United States. The site, operated by the National Park Service, is also known as White Haven, the house where Grant lived with his wife Julia Dent Grant, his children, and his in-laws from 1854 to 1859. The park was originally a plantation owned by the Dents and worked by slaves until the end of the American Civil War.
Visitors may tour the five historic structures that have been restored to their 1875 appearance, including the main house, a stone summer kitchen, an icehouse, and a chicken house. The historic stable serves as an exhibit gallery. On-site park rangers operate out of Visitor Center, which also features classrooms and an introductory film focusing on Grant's life.
JNPA was instrumental in the founding of this national historic site. In addition to purchasing the property and donating it to the National Park Service, JNPA operates the bookstore in the Visitor Center. The proceeds from purchases help the park maintain exhibits and programs, acquire historical artifacts, and publish literature.
JNPA commissioned two short videos for the Ulysses S. Grant Historic Site. A Thousand Kisses reveals the romantic side of the 18th President of the United States, and Sunlight and Shadows tells the story of slavery at Grant's White Haven. We also developed an exhibit video for the park's winter kitchen that offers the perspective of enslaved African Americans at White Haven as they contemplate their freedom.